Singita | Meet the Guides
This time I’m taking you to Singita’s Pamushana Lodge in remote, Southeast Zimbabwe. Perched high on a sandstone ridge, overlooking a shimmering lake full of hippos, this is one of the most inspirational safari destinations I have ever had the privilege of visiting.
The lodge is set on the Malilangwe Reserve which is now famous for its rhino and ecological conservation efforts, its absolutely awe inspiring anti-poaching team, and of course the world class service of Singita.
Since I’m in the field for this episode vs. sitting in the studio, you’ll hear some of the sounds of an actual game drive, and enjoy an authentic conversation with our accomplished guide Tengue and the Lodge Manager, Valerie. Both are local Zimbabweans and I was truly honored to spend this time with them.
We discuss so much in this episode from the area’s spectacular growth in rhino population, to specialty cocktails, to hyper-inflation, to Zimbabwean culture.
Listen to hear:
- 02:30 – What Valerie’s favorite spot on the property is
- 04:46 – About Zimbabwe through the eyes of our guides: Tengue and Valerie
- 08:42 – How Zimbabwe differs from other cultures, and the hyper-inflation period
- 13:22 – What the most interesting change that happened here is
- 14:51 – How they view and deal with the poachers
- 16:08 – What the inspiration behind the lodge is
- 18:54 – About Tengue’s favorite spot on the property
- 20:22 – How our guides spend their time in Zimbabwe
- 22:32 – Why the guest experience here is one of a kind
- 26:54 – What the craziest wildlife adventure they witnessed is
- 29:23 – How the guests take part in the conservation process in Singita
- 32:05 – About the sounds of Zimbabwe’s wildlife
- 34:17 – Why this is a rare opportunity to do a private water-base safari
- 35:38 – About Valerie’s and Tengue’s favorite choices here
- 38:13 – What you will learn about the world after visiting Zimbabwe
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily Breakfast for up to two guests per bedroom per stay (included in rates), served in the Hotel restaurant or via room service
A gift valued at USD $100 (per room, double occupancy)
Early Check-In / Late Check-Out, subject to availability