The Evolution of Travel | Matthew Upchurch, CEO of Virtuoso
Today’s show is about the evolution of travel – from the golden age of plane travel starting in the late 40s, to the excesses of the 80s, to the rapid changes brought about by the internet, 9/11, and the Covid-19 Pandemic.
My guest today is one of the most influential people in the luxury travel world, Matthew Upchurch, CEO of Virtuoso Travel.
Matthew tells stories of how travel planning was done before the internet and explains what Virtuoso is and why every luxury traveler should know about it. We also discuss the benefits of travel, how we can think about sustainability as we come out of Covid, and how high end luxury travelers actually have more in common with backpackers than you might think.
Listen to hear:
- 02:40 – What Virtuoso travel week is
- 06:40 – About the travel industry evolution through the years
- 13:43 – How the definition of luxury travel will change in the next two decades
- 16:28 – What the stories of the travel advisors during the pandemic are
- 22:39 – How to build back tourism sustainably
- 28:50 – Why it’s so important for all of us to continue exploring the world
- 37:56 – About the differences between travel advisors now and then
- 47:58 – What Virtuoso travel represents
- 51:38 – About Matthew’s favorite memories, experiences, and choices
- 64:34 – What you will learn about the world and humanity after making travel your priority