Sonoma County, California | Joe Bartolomei & Paul Sloan
Today we’re diving deep into the history, culture, and passion that make Sonoma County, California such a special place.
While known for being the birthplace of Californian wine, Sonoma has so much more to offer. From beautifully wild coastlines and Redwood Forest groves to some of the freshest produce, oysters, and creameries found anywhere in the world.
We have two guests today, Paul Sloan – owner of Smallvines Wines and Joe Bartolomei – owner of FarmHouse Inn – a family run, luxury boutique hotel in the heart of the Russian River Valley.
Both Joe and Paul’s families have been farming the land in Sonoma for multiple generations. We discuss everything from wine making and Michelin stars, to whale watching and weddings. Though Joe and Paul won’t say it – It’s worth pointing out that family ties and deep roots shape the experience in Sonoma vs the more corporate experiences you’ll find with their neighbors over in Napa.
Listen to hear:
- 2:10 – About Joe’s favorite view from FarmHouse inn
- 4:00 – Why Smallvines is a unique property in Sonoma
- 6:26 – How travelers can experience diversity on both properties
- 10:29 – What the secret behind the farming community in Sonoma is
- 16:09 – About the visionary journey of Joe and Catherine
- 18:55 – How Paul developed his passion for wine production
- 23:30 – Who Joe’s favorite figure on the historical property is
- 26:14 – What Paul wants his guests to experience at Smallvines
- 29:39 – How FarmHouse Inn got the Michelin stars
- 36:55 – About Joe’s & Paul’s favorite wines and cultural structures
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Our listeners can book a private Vintner appointment and tasting, exclusively with a one of the Sloans.
Located at the TBH vineyard and wine barn in Sebastopol, it includes a vineyard tour, winery tour and a taste of 5-6 wines including single Vineyard and Library wines. These completely one-on-one, Vintner experiences – typically last about an hour and a half and for every three bottles purchased, one tasting fee is waived.
The tasting fee is normally $100 per guest, Because of your VIP status as a Listener, we will extend a discounted tasting fee of $55 per person.
An offer for our listeners to do an off property hike or an on property wine tasting where Joe will share some of his favorite FarmHouse Inn/Sonoma stories