San Lorenzo Lodges | Owner, Stefano Barbini
Today’s guest is Stefano Barbini, owner of San Lorenzo lodges in Italy – White Deer in the Dolomites, Holy Deer in Rome, and Blue Deer which is actually a custom built, luxury catamaran that Stefano likes to call his “sea lodge.”
If you like authentic travel, San Lorenzo lodges are the stuff of your dreams. White Deer is a 16th century hunting lodge, previously owned by a Bishop, that the Barbini family reclaimed. Holy Deer is an expansive apartment in Piazza Novona – which was once inhabited by a Pope and his mistress.
Stefano himself had a 25 year career in fashion, and was the CEO of Escada in Italy and France. His wife, and co-owner Georgia comes from a well known fashion family in Italy as well. Leaving fashion to start anew in hospitality – they knew they wanted to do something differently.
Stefano and I discuss how he and Georgia found these incredible jewels, how they play host to their guests personally, and the secrets to discovering the heart of Italy.
Listen to hear:
- 02:23 – About Stefano’s view from his favorite spot in the Dolomites
- 04:01 – How Stefano and Giorgia became magnates in the Italian fashion industry
- 05:15 – How and why they left it all to buy a 16th-century hunting lodge in the mountains
- 06:17 – The crazy history behind the mountain lodge, and the Bishop who lived there
- 07:25 – Lessons and mistakes Stefano brought from fashion into the luxury travel industry
- 08:40 – Stefano’s unique philosophy about hospitality, and how you might find him as your driver or Giorgia as your cook
- 11:30 – What experiences and activities you can enjoy at San Lorenzo Lodges
- 12:45 – One of Stefano’s favorite memories of a guest… pajamas = luxury
- 14:52 – How Blue Deer and Holy Deer came to be
- 20:24 – Some of Stefano’s favorite off-the-beaten-path destinations in Italy
- 24:22 – What will you might about the world after visiting San Lorenzo Lodges
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Breakfast & Transfers Included
Dinners included at White Deer
A walking experience in Rome City Center with Stefano at Holy Deer
An included wine tasting in the Private Cellar at White Deer
An included wine tasting on Blue Deer