New Zealand | Wharekauhau
Today we’re headed back to New Zealand to uncover a hidden gem in the Wellington region. This southernmost part of the North Island is known for its elegant villages, boutique wineries, rural farmlands.
My guest today is Richard Rooney, the GM of luxury lodge Wharekauhau. The lodge is set right on the banks of Palliser Bay and brings together all the elements of old New Zealand. The miles of rugged coastline and the working sheep farm will take you back to simpler times and remind you what’s good about life.
Richard and I talk about everything from unique wine tastings, to offroading adventures, to enjoying the amazing food right out of the sea.
Listen to hear:
- 02:00 – About Richard’s favorite spot on the property
- 05:44 – How the region is layered
- 06:57 – What the story of Wharekauhau is
- 11:33 – How the rural farm became luxury lodge
- 14:38 – Why you can have myriad activities on the property
- 17:14 – How the culinary experiences are authentic here
- 22:16 – Why he has fond memories of past guests
- 24:25 – About Richard’s favorites on and off property
- 28:31 – What you will learn about the world after visiting Wharekauhau
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Daily breakfast for two guests per bedroom, served in restaurant
$100 USD equivalent Resort or Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
12 Noon early check-in / Late check-out, subject to availability