Maldives | Alex Chambers
Imagine yourself floating in crystal clear, turquoise waters with fringes of palm trees rustling in the breeze, and not a soul in sight.
This may sound like a fantasy but it happens with regularity in the Maldives. This gorgeous chain of atolls sprawling across the Indian Ocean is one of the best places on the planet to disconnect and feel immersed in nature. And when you’ve had your fill of relaxing you can dive with whale sharks, surf some of the best breaks in the world, and dine in underwater restaurants.
Our guest today is Alex Chambers, my partner in the Maldives, who has lived in and traveled to the region regularly for the past 30 years. We discuss how the islands have changed since the tourism boom, sustainability, and some unimaginable luxury experiences.
Listen to hear:
- 02:14 – About Alex’s choices of favorite spots and views
- 04:10 – How his family introduced him to the Maldives
- 06:34 – What the Maldivian life was like prior to tourism development
- 10:45 – About the differences between the atolls
- 13:38 – What the unique geography of the Maldives is
- 17:13 – How climate change affects the Maldives
- 20:09 – When you should choose the same atoll
- 21: 31 – What the epic adventures here are
- 25:40 – How to find the right fit, and the lesser known gems
- 29:44 – About the ungoogleable experiences
- 31:32 – Why one family left a special memory with him
- 32:33 – What Alex’s favorites related to the Maldives are
- 35:50 – How you can have an authentic stay
- 40:29 – What you will learn about humanity after visiting the Maldives
Listener Exclusive Amenities
A 60 minute Spa session for two at any resort of your choice