Luxury Hotel Design | Bill Bensley
I’m so excited today to be speaking with travel lover and true renaissance man – Bill Bensley. If you haven’t heard of Bill, you’ve CERTAINLY heard of some of the hotels he’s designed. World renowned projects like Capella Ubud, Four Seasons Tented Camp, Shinta Mani and more.
Before any of these were notable on the world’s stage, before any of them were even built – Bill was there. Soaking in the curve of the land, the angle at which the moon shines, and the direction from which the wind blows.
He takes his inspiration and genius from the natural world, melds his ideas with a story or fairy tale, and creates hotels that are the stuff of dreams.
Bill and I chat about some of his favorite destinations, the heart and soul that goes into designing a hotel, his tips for mastering a new passion, and much much more.
Listen to hear:
- 02:18 – About Bill’s favorite WOW travel moment
- 06:16 – How would he describe the work he does
- 08:13 – Why he decided to take on this journey
- 10:14 – What the inside stories from a camp out on site in the designing process are
- 14:05 – How can travelers notice the subtle design details
- 15:26 – What the random sources of design inspiration for him are
- 19:52 – About the origin and the work of his Shinta Mani Foundation
- 23:32 – How Bill accomplished his most ambitious sustainable project
- 26:42 – What behind the story of a favorite encounter of his is
- 29:27 – How the pandemic will change the design of the future projects
- 31:58 – About Bill’s inspiration and favorites from the design sphere
- 40:07 – What you will learn about the world by visiting one of the hotels designed by Bill Bensley