Japan | Avi Lugasi
Today we’re chatting about what I think is one of the most fascinating countries on the planet – Japan. It’s on one hand a total sensory overload and on the other hand, such a refined experience that without the very best of guides, you might totally miss the point. From owl cafes in Tokyo, to powder skiing in Hokkaido, to behind the scenes with a Geisha or Samurai warrior in Kyoto – Japan is a world unto itself.
Our guest today is Avi Lugasi, a long time resident of Japan and owner of my go to partner in the country, Windows to Japan. Avi specializes in going deep – and understanding the tiny nuances of the most intricate crafts (he did after all spend 3 years in a zen Buddhist monastery and earned 2 blackbelts in archery).
Avi and I discuss the ins and outs of finding excellent guides in Japan, how memorable experiences are created person to person, and how harmony is such an important aspect of the Japanese culture.
Listen to hear:
- 02:01 – About Avi’s favorite place in Japan
- 03:31 – What captivates him about Japan
- 05:08 – How Japanese and western culture are opposites
- 06:51 – What inspired Avi to start his own company here
- 09:31 – Why craftsmanship is a signature of Japan, and how it can be discovered only with a good guide
- 14:58 – About current trends and new experiences for guests
- 19:08 – What Avi’s favorite activities for kids are
- 22:42 – How the image of expectations shapes the tourist experience in Japan
- 31:45 – What you will learn about the world after visiting Japan
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Meet with Avi for an evening walk and insights (available if Avi is in Kyoto)