Ireland | Ballyfin Demesne
Over the last two hundred years this mansion has been a family home, hosted glamorous parties for nobility, and used as a boarding school before falling into disrepair.
In the early 2000s the future of one of Ireland’s finest houses was looking incredibly bleak.
Enter, our guest today – Jim Reynolds, an archeologist and master gardener, turned hotelier. Given his unique skillset, Jim was asked to lead the painstaking 9-year renovation of the property and has been with Ballyfin every since.
Today the estate boasts gorgeous gardens, stately guest rooms, lavish costume parties, and traditional activities like horseback riding, clay shooting, and falconry.
Jim tells us all about the history, the charm of the Irish people, and what you might glean from a visit here.
Listen to hear:
- 02:20 – About Jim’s favorite spot on the property
- 04:31 – Why you should visit Ireland
- 07:59 – What the most unique Irish customs are
- 08:52 – How did his life story lead him to Ballyfin
- 10:25 – Who his favorite historical figure on the property is
- 21:49 – Why the rooms have names instead of numbers
- 26:10 – What some of his favorite activities here are
- 30:12 – About the costume experience on the property
- 32:12 – Who left a special memory as a guest
- 35:11 – About a few of Jim’s favorite choices
- 39:45 – What you will learn about the world after visiting Ballyfin
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily Full breakfast for two guests per bedroom, served in restaurant
$100 USD equivalent Resort or Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Early Check-In / Late Check-Out, subject to availability
A souvenir gift from Ballyfin Demesne