Il Borro | CEO, Salvatore Ferragamo
Our guest today is Salvatore Ferragamo, the owner and CEO of Il Borro, an iconic estate in the heart of Tuscany.
The property has a 1,000 year history and it’s walls have seen historical characters like the Medicis, Alessandro dal Borro, European Royalty, German occupational forces during WW2, and of course now – Italy’s most famous fashion family, The Ferragamos.
Today Il Borro is an oasis of charm and is made up of a medieval village and several stand alone villas dotted along the rolling hills. You don’t come here, though, just for a hotel stay – the estate is famous for it’s fantastic wine, organic food production, extra virgin olive oil, and culinary program. Plan to come, savor the sights and tastes of Tuscany, and linger a little longer.
Salvatore and I discuss what it took to restore this historical gem, why he thinks his roots in fashion have influenced his hospitality, and how he’s taking wine production back to its ancient roots.
Listen to hear:
- 02:20 – What Salvatore’s favorite spot on the property is
- 05:04 – Some of the misconceptions the world holds about Tuscany
- 07:19 – Why Salvatore chose hospitality instead of the family business
- 09:08 – About the link between fashion and high-end travel
- 09:51 – The history of Il Borro and the lineage of noble families on property
- 11:21 – Who Salvatore’s favorite historical person connected to the property is
- 12:55 – Why he restored the property to its original state
- 14:37 – About the three different accomodation options you can enjoy during a stay
- 18:55 – Salvatore’s unique twofold wine concept and about the property’s own wine label
- 21:46 – What activities you can enjoy on the property in a sustainable way
- 25:35 – How the spirit of the Tuscan people sets II Borro apart
- 28:12 – What you will learn about the world after visiting II Borro
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily breakfast, for two guests per bedroom
Complimentary wine and art tour for 2 guests
Complimentary bottle of Il Borro wine
50 EUR SPA voucher
Early Check-In / Late Check-Out, subject to availability