Galapagos Safari Camp | Owner, Michael Mesdag
Our guest today is Michael Mesdag, owner of Galapagos Safari Camp. Michael and his wife, Stephanie Bonham Carter bought the land on a whim almost 20 years ago, and set out to create a luxury experience that still maintains the raw beauty of the Galapagos. With just 9 gorgeous tents and a comfortable lodge – this is THE place to unwind and connect with nature.
If you’re lucky enough to experience this magical setting, you’ll spend your days hiking, exploring, and snorkeling. You’ll come literally face to face with sea lions, giant tortoises, cormorants, and blue footed boobies.
Then after it all, you’ll head back to camp, soak in the pool overlooking the national park, and enjoy some of the friendliest service and best food in the country.
Michael and I discuss the great lengths they’ve taken to ensure sustainability, the emotions you’ll feel when you can see evolution with your own eyes, and some interesting tidbits on chocolate, guiding, and the local community.
Listen to hear:
- 02:10 – About the view from Michael’s favorite spot on property
- 04:27 – How Michael and Stephanie’s spontaneous journey brought them here to create Galapagos Safari Camp
- 07:02 – Michael’s philosophies and the cultural values the camp is built on
- 09:37 – How sustainability based on local farmers’ knowledge has led to creating the most expensive chocolate in the world
- 13:05 – How Michael and the team created a full cycle of sustainability on camp
- 15:59 – Michael’s definition of “appropriate luxury”
- 18:23 – How the wildlife at camp welcomes you from the moment you arrive
- 22:12 – How the Galapagos is a walking museum that allows you to see evolution as it’s happening
- 23:23 – Why you might choose a land camp like GSC vs. a ship experience
- 26:36 – About the passionate and experienced guides who will lead your expeditions
- 28:47 – What you will learn about the world after visiting the Galapagos
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Enjoy a special cocktail night with the bartender and learn how to make the Famous Blue footed cocktail.