Egypt | The Oberoi Zahra
Today we’ll be floating down the Nile River in Egypt. Close your eyes for a second and just think about the power of this ancient river. Its physical power has shaped the landscape of the African continent, but its energy has shaped the entire course of human history.
One of the best ways to soak up the magnitude and importance of the Nile River Valley is to float down the river on a luxury cruiser.
My guest today is Shamden Tamang, the head of operations for Oberoi’s new ship on the Nile, the Oberoi Zahra. And if I may say so myself, one of the best options on the river. Shamden and I discuss everything from ancient history, to the world class food aboard the Zahra, to how the small details can make a big impact on your trip.
Listen to hear:
- 02:03 – About Shamden’s favorite spot on the Nile
- 03:01 – Why the Nile has been so historically important
- 06:07 – What the overview of the different regions that lie along the river is
- 09:38 – Why the life near the river has its own structure
- 10:52 – How the mood of the people has changed since Arab spring
- 12:08 – About the cultural traits of the Egyptians
- 13:50 – What the layout of the ship and the different cabins is
- 17:03 – How Shamden views sustainability
- 18:21 – Why the private docks make the experience unique
- 19:24 – What the best itineraries and activities on board are
- 29:45 – About Shamden’s favorite choices
- 32:43 – What you will learn about the world by exploring the Nile with The Oberoi Zahra
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Daily Breakfast for up to two guests per bedroom (already included in hotel rates)
A complimentary 50-minute massage for up to two guests per bedroom, once during stay (must have minimum value of $100 USD equivalent)
A bottle of local wine upon arrival
Daily fresh fruits
Early Check-In / Late Check-Out, subject to availability
60 minutes of private lecture with The Oberoi Egyptologist with complimentary beverages (selection of domestic wines or beer / non-alcoholic beverage).