Cottar’s Safaris | Owner, Calvin Cottar
October 27, 2020
The Cottar family is iconic in the world of safari, as they were one of the first families to pioneer the safari experience we can all now enjoy.
Cottar’s Camp itself sits on the edge of the Maasai Mara in Kenya and conserves over 7,600 acres of land. While the camp is gorgeous, full of modern luxuries, and amazing service – you can tell Calvin’s passion lies in the experience and conservation of land.
Calvin and I discuss why a visit to Africa is so emotional and the role these luxury safari lodges play in preserving wildlife for future generations.
Listen to hear:
- 02:07 – Calvin’s favorite spot on the property
- 02:31 – How Calvin’s great grandfather picked up and moved to Kenya after the family was settled in the US for 100 years
- 04:37 – How seeing a leopard during a run in the bush made Calvin get into the family business
- 06:54 – How a Cottar’s safari will give you an experience of time standing still
- 09:06 – Why Cottar’s doesn’t own any land
- 09:46 – How the big challenge in the conservation of wildlife is not poaching…Calvin’s unique philosophy
- 11:30 – About Cottar’s home-away-from-home vibe and passion for service and hospitality
- 13:41 – Why the Safari experience expensive
- 16:00 – What you will learn about the world after visiting Kenya
Listener Exclusive Amenities
All meals and game drives included
30 minute massage per guest per stay