Antarctica | Patrick Woodhead
Today we find ourselves on “The Ice” deep in the heart of Antarctica. And I mean the interior of Antarctica, land of majestic mountains, the Emperor Penguin, and the magnetic south pole.
Though you once had to go on months long expeditions to reach these destinations, you can now fly five hours on a Gulfstream from Cape Town and experience all the Great White has to offer from the comfort of a luxury camp.
Our guest today is Patrick Woodhead – founder and CEO of White Desert, the logistics and hospitality company that can make all this happen. But Patrick’s vision for White Desert comes from his years of being a true explorer, visiting some of the most remote places on the planet.
We chat about what it takes to be an explorer, how all of us can infuse that spirit into our daily lives, some of Patrick’s craziest experiences, the Antarctic experience, and baby Emperor Penguins.
Listen to hear:
- 02:22 – About Patrick’s favorite spot in Antarctica
- 04:41 – When he felt called to become an explorer
- 09:14 – What the craziest situation he found himself in is
- 12:25 – About the art of combining the adventurous with the family life
- 15:17 – How you can experience the exploring excitement
- 18:37 – Why Patrick chose Antarctica as his destination
- 20:10 – What the difference between the interior portions of Antarctica and the Peninsula is
- 23:35 – How they abide by the rules in Antarctica
- 26:01 – About the design details of the luxury camps
- 31:18 – How you can reach Antarctica
- 33:12 – What a day in the life of a guest looks like here
- 38:17 – How an activity and a past guest are one of his favorite memories
- 41:27 – About Patrick’s favorite choices in Antarctica
- 47:28 – What you will learn about the world by taking a trip as an explorer
Listener Exclusive Amenities
A lunch with Patrick in the Winelands during your pre/post stay in Cape Town
A signed copy of his Antarctic thriller, Beneath The Ice