Angama Mara | Owners, Nicky & Kate
Today’s guests are Nicky Fitzgeraldand Kate Fitzgerald Boyd- the mother-daughter duo who own and run Angama Mara in Kenya.
Of the thousands of safari lodges across Africa, Angama Mara is always mentioned as one of the best.
If you are the kind of person who loves heart-stoppingly beautiful views, this is the place for you. Not only can you lean over your balcony and be suspended over the Masai Mara National Park – but you can do it style.
Nicky and her late husband Steve are weaved into the modern history of safari in Africa through a long career at &Beyond. Over the years the Fitzgerald’s have been responsible for launching 60 lodges in Africa and India.
So with Nicky’s deep history, and Kate’s fresh perspective – they’ve created something truly special and innovative.
Kate, Nicky, and I discuss how they were able to get this incredible piece of land, some insider tidbits from the filming of Out of Africa, how they continue to innovate, and the differences between safari in South and East Africa.
Listen to hear:
- 02:16 – About their favorite view from the property
- 03:51 – How the family history is intertwined with their hospitality background
- 09:45 – What drew them to Kenya
- 12:32 – Why guests should put Kenya on top of the list
- 18:03 – How the Maasai culture influenced the design of the property
- 20:37 – What some of the stories from the shooting of “Out of Africa” are
- 24:52 – How living in a tent can be a luxury experience
- 28:11 – What sets their safari experience apart from the others
- 32:18 – About the amazing and unique guest activities
- 40:56 – Why the Kenyan service is the kindest
- 46:24 – Why do they put so much heart into what they do
- 49:54 – What will you learn about humanity after visiting Kenya
Listener Exclusive Amenities
A copy of their lovely new cookery book, written by Nicky and produced by Kate. Signed by them.