Amangiri | GM, Julien Surget
Julien Surget is the General Manager of the famed Amangiri hotel in Southern Utah. Amangiri is a modern sanctuary situated among 600 acres of wilderness and isolation in the desert.
Every detail of the hotel was thought through in order to honor the surroundings – from building the pool around a massive boulder, to using the desert light to play off the structures, to the 25,000 square foot spa that just exudes relaxation.
Julien, of course runs one of the top hotels in the US, but is also a true forward thinker, and leader in the world of travel. After our recording, he told me that “hospitality is the noble art of hosting” and his passion for that really shines through in this episode.
Julien and I discuss the ins and outs of being an Aman Junkie, why Amangiri is so special, and a few interesting tidbits on what to expect from the property next.
Listen to hear about:
- 02:10 – Julien’s favorite spot on the property
- 03:17 – What makes Amangiri and its design so special and unique
- 05:55 – How the hotel supports and honors the art and culture of Navajo Nation
- 08:11 – Secrets and behind the scene stories of Amangiri
- 09:27 – The meaning and origin of the word Amangiri
- 10:44 – What’s an “Aman Junkie” and how to become one
- 11:37 – What makes Amangiri of the best hotels in the U.S.
- 13:24 – How the team created an unforgettable experience for a couple and why it was so special
- 15:30 – How the staff builds relationships with their guests
- 17:03 – Experiences you can enjoy on property
- 20:57 – A glimpse into the new luxury tented camp, Camp Sarika
- 24:15 – What makes the price of Amangiri worth it?
- 27:09 – Why some guests visit Amangiri again and again
- 29:13 – What a visit to Southern Utah can teach you about the world
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Full breakfast daily for two guests per bedroom
Spa credit of $125 per person, once, for up to 2 guests, applicable to spa treatments scheduled between 9am-3pm
Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability