Alaska | Owner Kirsten Dixon, Winterlake Lodge, Tutka Bay Lodge
Today’s show is about Alaska and two of it’s top luxury lodges, Winterlake and Tutka Bay Lodge. But it’s also about so much more! Our guest is owner and chef, Kirsten Dixon and after our recording I was asking her to be my mentor!
Alaska is a destination that captures the imaginations of people from all over the world. It’s pristine beauty and rugged wilderness have so much to teach us. Travel has always been near and dear to my heart because it helps us to feel small, to realize how wide the world is around us – and Alaska is the perfect place to experience this.
Kirsten reminds us all to drink up the bright and shiny parts of life and shares her experiences of Alaska with us. We discuss everything from wildlife and helicopter adventures, to story telling with shots of vodka, to cooking with your heart and soul.
Listen to hear:
- 02:02 – About Kirsten’s favorite view on the property
- 04:15 – What inspired her to take the journey from medicine to hospitality
- 06:38 – How her different experiences add colors to the lodges
- 09:55 – Why Alaska captures the imagination of the whole world
- 10:50 – What makes her region different than the other ones in Alaska
- 12:43 – About seeing Alaska by land vs. sea
- 17:50 – How they practice sustainability
- 22:00 – What some of the guests’ favorite dishes are
- 24:01 – How creative writing impacted her meals
- 27:34 – What some of her favorite activities are
- 31:57 – About a special memory of a past guest
- 37:35 – What Kirsten’s favorite recipe to cook is
- 38:35 – Which animals can often be seen here
- 42:38 – What you will learn about the world after visiting the lodges in Alaska
Listener Exclusive Amenities
Complimentary Full Breakfast (included in rates)
$100 gift card towards gift shop merchandise
Early Check-In / Late Check-Out, subject to availability
A signed cookbook by Kirsten